Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog has had 3 tumors removed 2 IN the same spot she has

Customer Question

My dog has had 3 tumors removed 2 IN the same spot she has another tumor in that same location. I think my money is going down the tube. need to know if there is another way instead of more surgery Angel turns 11 years next mo. Could there be a shot or pill that could stop its growth She has trouble with surgery. I want to know I'm Sure if she goes to the same clinic they will say surgery.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You must know I love my dog. The first tumor that was removed was as big as a baseball. Then it grew back in a few months. After the second removal much smaller. Now six mouths later another in the same place Right upper by her right front leg. She also had a tumor removed above her anus. That hasn't grown back yet that was three months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every time I go to my Vet clinic they want to cut her. this time I am up for us. I want a second view of this. Don't know what else to say Please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You can call me on the phone. my e-mail***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry you're having these tumors recur.

It sounds like they are probably mast cell tumors. Those have a high chance of regrowing if they are large and we don't get clean borders on the biopsy. If they were not biopsied, then I would remove it again and biopsy it.

For the removal, you may want to talk with a boarded surgeon. They can often times do skin flaps to make sure enough tissue is removed and decrease the chance of recurrence. They could also refer you to an oncologist to do follow up chemotherapy or radiation depending on the tumor type to give the best chance of a cure.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there another way to detect a way to detect cancer than a biopsy? Don't no why it wasn't done already can check. must be on bill.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this on my e-mail.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry for the long wait.

The only way to determine the tumor type is with a biopsy, similar to in people. We don't have a blood test to check for these types of cancer. That only helps if it's leukemia, which is not the issue here.