Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is not eating or drinking four days after he was

Customer Question

Customer: my cat is not eating or drinking four days after he was nutered.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the first 3-4 days he was eating and drinking, then suddenly he stopped. its been 3 days now since is like this and I am wondering what to do.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

The surgeon who performed the neutering needs to recheck your cat. Your cat's gums and tongue need to be checked for pallor (paleness/whiteness indicates anemia from post-operative bleeding) and your cat's renal function needs to be checked in case hypotension (low blood pressure) arose during his surgery and harmed his kidneys. Unless your cat has already been tested for the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and he was found to be negative, that virus needs to be checked for as well because symptoms of that virus can exacerbate in times of stress such as when an anesthetic is given and surgery performed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.