Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

What is the treatment 15 year old cat that has just around

Customer Question

What is the treatment for a 15 year old cat that has just laid around in the bedroom and started sneezing last night? Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she eating and drinking?

2- Is she lethargic?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got her to eat a little canned chicken and drink a little water yesterday and yes she is lethargic. She is basically just laying on my bed when she will usually come sit in my lap

1- Any nasal discharge?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no nasal discharge her nose is cool and moist she has just started laying in bed and not cleaning our other cat anymore and she started sneezing last night. I noticed she was sleeping at my head and now nothing she doesn't even want to sit in my lap. She is staying in bed unless I pick her up to get her to eat or drink something. She is normally a very loving cat that loves attention and being rubbed

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, sneezing can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are: Allergies, a foreign body in the nasal cavity, infections, polyps, etc. to name a few causes. My concern in this case is that Sweetie is lethargic which suggest that there could be more going on then just plain sneezing. For this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian to listen to her heart and lungs. In addition perform a complete hands on examination. In the meantime what you can do is open the hot water in your bathroom and allow her to breath the steam/vapor for 2-3 minutes, this will clear her nasal passages and help with the sneezing. After doing the vapor would be a good time to feed her as she will be able to smell the food better.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!