Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I noticed my cat got into something- or something- just on s

Customer Question

I noticed my cat got into something- lotion or something- just on his stomach that got his hair matted. I couldn't mess with him for too long before he started getting aggravated and biting me, so I let him go for the night. Today when I looked, part of it had come off and the skin underneath was a little scarred. When I put him down, I noticed he had been biting it off! I still can't get it all off at once but I don't want him biting at it and hurting himself; what can I do? Also, should I put something on the scar?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some trouble with McDreamy and his coat. I'll do my best to help.

Since cat hair is really fine, it does often get very tangled to the point that it cannot be combed out. When the fur gets matted up like you're describing, it needs to be removed with a pair of clippers. I caution you not to try to do this with scissors, as it is very easy to cut the skin on accident when you are trying to use scissors. You can use a pair of clippers meant for people (like what they use at the salon to do a man's hair cut or a pair of beard trimmers), or you can purchase a pair of clippers made specifically for pets if you want to have one on hand. Here are some examples:

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/home.jsf?wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&area=PMCB-01

If you think you wouldn't use a pair of clippers more than once, it's reasonable to set up an appointment for him to be professionally groomed whenever he needs it. Depending on their type of coat and lifestyle (including what they get into from time to time), grooming can be done as frequently or infrequently as needed. It's an especially good idea to have a professional groom him if he is likely to bite you or wiggle enough to make it difficult to clip him.

Cats typically lick off anything that you put on their skin, so I rarely recommend any sort of topical treatments for cats. If there's evidence of inflammation or infection on a physical exam, sometimes I'll prescribe antibiotics and/or anti-inflammatory medications, however it's rare that fur mats would need any sort of treatment other than removal with a pair of clippers.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)