Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

How can ringworm on a cat be cured?

Customer Question

How can ringworm on a cat be cured ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand that you suspect your kitty has a ringworm (dermatophytosis) infection on the face. Dermatophytosis is typically treated with oral and topical anti-fungal medication which contains Ketoconazole for a period of 3-4 weeks or until clear of infection. It is also diagnosed with a fungal culture which involves removing several hair follicles and placing them on an agar plate to see if fungal growth occurs in 7-10 days. This is the conventional and effective way to treat ringworm infection in pets.

Do you happen to have a picture to send here in the chat of your cats face? I would say that ringworm and demodexx mites can appear very similar on cats skin and demodexx commonly affects the facial area so it is important to verify if this is ringworm with skin testing.

- Dr. H

Did you have any other concerns for me to address today?