Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Pinkish vomit, was taken to a vet earlier today and upon

Customer Question

Customer: pinkish vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: was taken to a vet earlier today and upon examination he gave her a shot for nausea and some follow oral medicine, but since she's come home she's had atleast two bouts
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sorry.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: scrappy, she's six, mix breed short hair Malaysian cat who is apparently a bot overweight at 5.9kg
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: scrappy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Scrappy. Can you tell me, please, how long Scrapy had been vomiting before her vet examined her? Pinkish vomitus - indicating the presence of blood (hematemesis) - can arise when forceful vomiting ruptures capillaries in the stomach, when ulcers exist in the upper gastrointestinal tract, when severe inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) exists, when pancreatitis is present, and also secondary to any inflammatory disorder in the gastrointestinal tract or outside the GI tract but affecting that organ. Unless Scrappy remisses within the next 24 hours, I would provide her with supplemental fluids and electrolytes subcutaneously by needle in order to replace the fluids and electrolytes she has lost in her vomitus, perform a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a specFPL blood test which is most specific for identifying the presence of pancreatitis. If such testing revealed nothing untoward, an abdominal ultrasound should be considered - imaging most sensitive and readily available for evaluating the GI tract for foreign bodies and inflammation.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.