Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 7 yr old cat begins to chew her backside and if I 't stop

Customer Question

My 7 yr old cat begins to chew her backside and if I don't stop her in time it will actually turn into a severe seizure lasting for about 5 seconds. Is there anything I can give her over the counter that can help? She is sweet to me but has ptsd from when she was a kitten and stuck in a fishing net for a week. Due to this she lost her front leg and can never be placed in confined areas, which is why I can not take her to the vet for an exam. Any suggestions are greatly welcome.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Good morning, Karin. I am so very sorry to hear that Peek A Boo is having such a problematic time of things. Can I get some additional information?

1) Has she had any blood work performed to determine if there is a reason for the seizures? If so, when was this performed?
2) Has any medication been tried for her 'ptsd' aside from the EaseSure?
3) Can you describe this seizure activity you're seeing? Does she lay on her side? Stay upright? Is the responsive to your voice or completely unaware?
4) Is there any reason for her original backside chewing, such as fleas? We commonly see pets groom above their tail and down their back when they have fleas, and they can become pretty aggressive with their grooming?
5) Does she have any "skin rippling" before these seizures begin or before the chewing of her backside begins?