Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat was given an shot of Convenia on Saturday. She has

Customer Question

Customer: My cat was given an shot of Convenia on Saturday. She has Feline HIV. She was doing great. I took her to the vet for an eye infection. Now she will not eat. She is drooling excessively. I think it is the Convenia, but my vet said there is nothing she can do. Can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 91/2 years old. Thank you!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: On Saturday, her temp. was 103. She weighs approx. 8 pounds.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has your vet prescribed any other medications besides the Convenia?

What was the Convenia injection given for?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The vet said the Convenia was an antibiotic.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Yes, but what did the vet diagnose her with when the Convenia was given? What were her initial symptoms? Is Convenia the only medication she has been given?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The Convenia was an antibiotic
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Well, it will be difficult to say without knowing what your vet's diagnosis was and why he gave the Convenia (I know it is an antibiotic, but I don't know why an antibiotic was given or what type of infection your vet may have diagnosed). It is possible that the Convenia can cause nausea. That is not as commonly seen with the injectible antibiotics as opposed to the oral antibiotics. It would probably be a good idea to run routine bloodwork if not already done to make sure nothing else is going on. At the very least, your vet can give her an injection for nausea (usually Cerenia) and give her an appetite stimulant (mirtazapine is a good choice) to see if that will pull her out of it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Other medication given on March 19 was Ciprofloxacin.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

I would say that the ciprofloxacin would more likely cause the nausea than the Convenia. I would even discuss with your vet about stopping that medication in addition to giving the anti-nausea injection and appetite stimulant. Let me know if you have further concerns.