Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We put both of our cat's on DM wet about 6 months ago. One

Customer Question

Customer: We put both of our cat's on DM wet about 6 months ago. One of the cat's was diagnosed diabetic. She is fine. The male cat, age 10 has had issues with boats of throwing up and constipation at the same time. He will throw all of his morning food up and then try to poop all day leaving little wet spots of diarrhea everywhere. I watched him this morning and noticed his urine was very foamy. The vet has seen him several times and everything seems O.K. This happens about once or twice a month. After the episode is over he goes back to completely normal, active playful, etc. I am thinking now that maybe it is the food and I should put him back on a wet food with more vegetables in it. Please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: We have been watching him very carefully and we believe the answer is no. My husband thinks he may have a tendency to eat the occasional dry pine needle.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Wilbur. He is a very playful and active cat and again once this episode is over he is his normal self.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wilbur?
Customer: He has had all his shots, the vet did a senior panel and check-up, just 4 months ago. Everything seemed normal.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on his signs, it does sound like the food isn't agreeing with him. Therefore, it would be ideal to change him to his previous diet if possible. Otherwise, I would note that you could try giving Wilbur regular doses of cat hairball treatment (a GI lubricant) +/- adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to his DM. The aim of those is that they will help him maintain fecal regularity and ease his passing stool. And if we can do that (thus preventing a situation where his colon is impacted and stretched by the stool thus triggering the vomiting center in the brain), we should see the vomiting settle too. But again if those additives don't help or he is more keen on his old diet, then a change would be ideal for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

**Please rate my recent answer to you. I am grateful for feedback and this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge to do so). If you have any lingering questions, please just let me know. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)