Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My cat is sneezing a lot and very docial. She had never been

Customer Question

My cat is sneezing a lot and very docial. She had never been sick before. Just very concerned. Should we take her to a Vet immediately?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Mysteri. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably imagine, there are several possible causes for her symptoms including anything from a nasal foreign body, a sinus issue due to dental disease or even a nasal polyp or tumor, but if she isn't vaccinated and has been sneezing a lot, this is most likely an upper respiratory tract infection. It is possible this could be secondary to herpes or calici virus if she isn't up to date with vaccinations.

If left - this could potentially lead to a lower respiratory tract infection (pneumonia). Please keep her separated from any other cats you may have if that is possible, and do try and get her seen by your local Vet tomorrow if you can. Here a physical exam will likely confirm an upper respiratory tract infection and your girl will need to be put on antibiotics straight away. If she is really struggling to breath through all of the discharge, then she may need another drug to help break up all of this material.

In the meantime, continue to keep her nice and quiet won't you. You can also try closing her in the bathroom with you when you have a shower or bath. The steam generated from this may help to clear her airways a little as well. Do try and get her seen today though if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc