Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

She suddenly started drooling and her eyes are dilated. Her

Customer Question

Customer: She suddenly started drooling and her eyes are dilated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gertie?
Customer: She is currently tapering off of Prednilosone.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Gertie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Gertie's symptoms today are definitely quite concerning. The combination of drooling and dilated eyes could be a sign of a number of potential issues here, but I would be most concerned about a potential toxicity, or even an allergic reaction (such as to a bee/bug sting or bite). There are a range of other potential causes for these symptoms including anything from an endocrine issue to an infectious disease or even an internal organ problem, but it is unlikely that these symptoms are directly related to the steroid, or the fact you are tapering her off it.

You are going to need to keep a close eye on your girl for the next couple of hours if you can. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. If her personality seems different right, if she seems distressed or in pain, or if she is constantly drooling, then you are best to play it safe and get her seen by your local vet or ER vet right now if you can. In the meantime, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

All the best with Gertie, and as above, if these symptoms are ongoing, if any of the parameters above aren't right, or if she seems distressed or in pain, you definitely need to get her seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Sorry - I'm currently unavailable for the live phone call feature. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding your girl via the chat box though won't you.

All the best with Gertie.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc