Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My rescue cat has a sore on s tail- we saw it this morning.

Customer Question

My rescue cat has a sore on his tail- we saw it this morning. Can I give him a half a ml shot of bactracillin G benzathine injection subcutaneously
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the dose is dependent on your cat's weight and the concentration (IU/ml or mg/ml) of the Bactracillin you have. Generally speaking cats need 30mg per kilogram of their weight once daily for a course of 3-7 days (depending on wound severity and healing time). And I would note that dosing appropriately is very important since not doing so could allow infection to fester and even become resistant to the drug. So, we need to dose that properly and also keep the wound clean. Finally, if you see any gaping of the wound (so edges not laying aligned) or its at the end and the bone is exposed; then we'd want Chester seen as these would need to be addressed for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
300,000 units per ml
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again

That translates to 300mg/ml. So, you need to multiply your cat's weight (in kg) by 30. Then take that total and divide it by 300. That is the ml's you need to give. It will likely be under a ml. Since a ml would be for 10kg of body weight.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.