Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat i having an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic...

Customer Question

My cat i having an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic... the closest vet is over an hour away.... I have an epi jr. pen and some spare syringes... how much would i give him... my husband and i are freaking out!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now.

Is your cat still having issues? If so, what is going on at this point?

In answer to your epi-pen question, no. Please do not do this at home. The doses in the pen for people are much too high for a cat (there is a risk of death). As well, we usually only use epinephrine for anaphylaxis when we have serious respiratory issues. The problem is there are non-anaphylactic issues in cats that might look like this (e.g., feline asthma) and then administering epinephrine will not help and could end badly.