Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My twelve year old cat has rock hard stools.He only likes

Customer Question

My twelve year old cat has rock hard stools.He only likes dry food and won't touch the grain free brands. He's really a picky eater, I can't imagine he'd eat pumpkin like I've heard a few other people mention. He had blood tests run, two months ago and everything came back fine. A woman that runs a local cat rescue once told me you could give a cat mineral oil, but should only do it once a year. Is there any truth to this? Also should cats drink distilled water?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sandra

Sorry to hear Tofu has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Sometimes middle aged and older cats can have hard faeces and constipation due to a variety of factors ranging from dietary issues through to diseases involving stasis of the alimentary tract. In some of these chronic situations mineral oil may be indicated, I have prescribed it many times myself and other products such as lactulose are also useful as are some prescribed drugs.

2. Mineral oil has a very high margin of safety in the cat as it is an intestinal tract lubricant and stays in the intestinal tract and does not enter the system as such. It is often given to cats on a daily basis without adverse effects, a suitable initial dose would be 1/2 to 1 ml given orally once or twice a day. A small syringe be a very useful too to dose it with.

However be aware that the type of symptom you are seeing can be associated with various disease conditions, but in your case he was fine at his last check up.

3. Some people give distilled or otherwise purified water to their cats because there may be a realtionship bewteen impurities in water and bladder disease and other conditions which some cats suffer, I am not 100% convinced and still give tap water to my cats { all my cats are healthy }. However as a compromise you may want to use filtered water or bottled water, this cannot do any warm.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.