Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My cat is nearly 17 and over the last 14 days has gone

Customer Question

My cat is nearly 17 and over the last 14 days has gone downhill rapidly. First it was just being really picky about food and vomiting, I couldn't tempt him with anything. Then he started not using his tray and soiling all over the house.His stools are very loose. He was still loving and purring. Today his back legs have really gone.He doesn't appear to be in any pain. He is just lying quietly by me. My question is -shall I carry on caring for him and hope he dies in his sleep or shall I take him to be put down - but when?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am so sorry to hear about Titus's decline in health as of late. He does appear to be having a hard time maintaining a good quality of life right now. I am afraid to say that loose stool, weight loss, vomiting and inappropriate urination are all signs of stress to him and his body system and very suspicious of lymphoma (intestinal cancer) which is quite common in older cats. I know some owners don't like the word cancer but it is a possibility in his case especially because it is so prevalent in older cats.

With that said, he does at the very least sound like he could use some supportive care at this point to try and help him maintain some level of quality in his daily activities. Cats are masters at hiding pain so you will not see the typically crying out that you can often see in dogs. Cat pain and distress is seen when cats either hide away from their owners or when they are seen to have a lack of energy and thrive that they usually have.

I believe that if you want to care for Titus you have to first get him seen by your vet for a physical examination of him. If he is suffering and has poor quality of life, which right now it does appear to be that way, and the proper diagnostics and treatment can't be implemented for him, then humane euthanasia is a viable option. But only you can make that decision when your pet reaches that point. Veterinarians job is to help guide you and help you make the best decision for his care and well-being.

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have just seen your message only because I saw £23.00 had gone to you from my bank account. I had difficulty paying with pay pal and gave up after a couple of tries so I believed it hadn't gone through. I had no notification of your message.My cat Titus died yesterday at 4pm, I had called the vet out to put him to sleep, but he went peacefully in my arms.
I am so sorry to hear about our pets demise and I am sorry you were not able to see my reply until late. This is a website issue and I encourage you to contact justanswer customer service at
They will also deal with any financial questions you may have.
I know it is too late for your pet and you may not want to go through this process but I wanted to extend that out to you for further support of you needed it. Again I am so sorry for the loss of your pet.
- Sincerely,
Dr. H
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 7 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.