Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I need help with my cat is someone online now?

Customer Question

Hello! I need help with my cat is someone online now?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is 12 yrs old doesn't eat. When he does it comes back up within minutes. Vet ran blood test and stool test said all looks good and diag him with a gut bacteria or lower g.i. tract issue. She put him on Metronidazole 50 mg twice daily but it doesn't seem to help. He lost 4 pounds and counting. He constantly tries to eat grass so I got him some of that cat grass at PetSmart. He eats some of it every hour or so. He is also constipated so I feed him hair ball chewys which help a little. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Keifer had these signs? Did he originally have diarrhea or just anorexia and vomiting?

Did his vet note what bacteria was in the gut? Did they re-test stool samples after treating it?

Was he put on any other treatments?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink, not pale/white?

Any belly discomfort or tensing if you press on his belly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has had this for about a week or 10 days now she did test his stool again came back negative. He does keep water down, his skin has turned dark red and at times he is hot or feverish yet the vet says he has no fever I guess it comes and goes as he is not hot to the touch all the time. Gums look normal, pink. No other treatments just the one. He constantly looks for fiber to eat even licking the carpet often. He does not appear to be too sensitive in the belly area. He has been on phenobarbital for nearly 2 years now for seizures and was doing fine. I noticed another cat in the complex (his friend) vomiting as well. I told this to the Vet as well. He has had a little diarrhea but it quickly turned to constipation and has been that what little he passes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad.

For him to have these signs but a now negative fecal test suggests that the gut bacteria issue wasn't the root cause for his signs or not the only one. It may have been what caused the diarrhea (or that could have been triggered by all the grass/carpet/etc. he is ingesting). As well, the signs of seeking out grass, licking the carpet, vomiting, and off food tells us that we have nausea that isn't being addressed.

With this in mind, we'd want to make sure his vet is ruling out other nausea inducing issues (ie pancreatitis, metabolic diseases, IBD, diffuse gut or abdominal tumors, etc.). Otherwise, we need to actually try and address that nausea so that we can halt the vomiting, halt the fiber seeking, and get Keifer eating. In regards ***** ***** so, we'd want his vet to start him on a strong anti-nausea drug (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide) preferably by injection to start. That way we can get this under control and get him settled. Or at the very least, we could try him on an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @
As well, once we have those nausea signs under control, we may want his vet to dispense an appetite stimulant to give him a push to eat for us again. And once we can get him eating, we'd want to consider using a calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or a paste supplement (ie Nutrical). This way we can get more nutrients in him per bite to get that weight back on (and likely will see more stool once he has something in him). And in the meantime, if he can keep water down, we could even use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) just now to get nutrients in.

Overall, it sounds like the bacterial agent Keifer's vet found wasnt' the only agent here and may have been secondary to what is causing his persisting signs. Therefore, we'd want to be ruling out those other issues I noted but most importantly addressing the nausea and getting him eating for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! Keifer has not vomited in a few days now. He eats but very very little once or twice a day maybe a tea spoon worth but seems to keep it down. He goes for the grass throughout the day however. I will contact the vet for the liquid diet and see if that helps
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that he hasn't been vomiting, though that refusal to eat properly and grass visits does suggest that nausea is still causing him bother (and faulty kitty logic often tells them its best to not eat so they not vomit despite eating being critical for life). So, we'd want to speak to his vet about a liquid diet but also consider those anti-nausea treatments (either antacids at home or those stronger options I noted his vet could provide) to make sure we are settling that for Keifer and giving him the best chance to eat properly for us.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks in headed to the vet now for those items as well as a blan food they have. I will also talk to them about your other mentionings, thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds perfect and hopefully we can get his wee stomach settled, break his fast, and get some weight back on Keifer.

Take care & all the best,

Dr. B.