Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat's eyes seems to be slightly rolled back in s head. We

Customer Question

my cat's eyes seems to be slightly rolled back in his head. We are travelling and I gave him a half dose of Aceprozamine this morning (8 hrs ago). He is about 11 lbs and is anywhere from 11 - 14 yrs of age. He has been loosing weight the last couple of months. The meds have usually worn off by this time. Might I have overdosed him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Prolapse of the third eyelids - which often is confused with eyes rolling back in the head (a very rare event) - is common after Acepromazine administration. An older cat isn't going to excrete that tranquilizer as quickly as a much younger cat and so you can expect 24-36 hours of prolapse. You haven't hurt him. I might dose an 11 lb cat with up to 10 mg of that drug orally.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for this! I was quite frantic, mostly because we're on the road and won't be home for another 2 days. It is now about 4 hours later and my cat's eyes are almost normal, so it seems that it was medication related. He is probably older than I realize because he "adopted me" 9 years ago and may have been 4 or 5 years old at that time.

I'm pleased to hear that he's normalizing. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?