Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Have 6 mo. KITTEN & I put 7.5ml. Tresaderm flea med on m

Customer Question

Have 6 mo. KITTEN & I put 7.5ml. Tresaderm flea med on him 3/8/16, he's not been the same since, he as lost weight, sleeps constastly, & that's not like him!!! His fur coat is different too
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was cherishing flea med. The other was ear mite med. I'm a life long cat owner, just got med names mixed up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he been eating less?

Any coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?

When was he last wormed?

Did you mean that you used Cheristin? Was it the right dose for his size?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They said 1 size fits all & yes on med I used. & no on everything, except I have not wormed him yet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Can you confirm he is eating as well as normal?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he is eating as normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now this medication does tend to be well tolerated by cats, therefore it is rare to see it cause adverse signs. That said, if he was able to lick it, then it is possible for it to cause GI upset with appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea. Though this sounds less likely to be an issue here.

With that aside, to see weight loss, coat quality lapse (which is just part of weight loss since the body will be stealing nutrition from non-critical organs like hair/skin to feed the rest of the body) and lethargy in a cat that is eating suggests that we have an issue that is siphoning nutrition from your wee one. The most common reason for this in kittens will be high worm burdens. Otherwise, though you didn't comment on his gum color, we can see all these signs related to anemia secondary to fleas.

Therefore, with this all in mind, we need to check those gums and make sure they are rosy pink and not pale. If they are, we may need his vet to start treatment further to the flea medication to boost his red blood cell levels and get him feeling like himself. Otherwise, we'd absolutely want to worm him to remove any parasitic burden and see if we can redirect those stolen nutrients back to him.

Overall, this doesn't sound like the flea medication is causing his signs. Instead, all his signs point to something stealing nutrition and thus energy from him. Since he has no input issues nor output ones (since he has no diarrhea), we'd have to be worried that the issue is internal. And at his age, the above 2 concerns would be our most likely culprits that we need to rule out. Of course, if we do so and his signs linger, we may need to have his local vet check for an infection and address that for him as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gums r not rosy, they look pale, but he is white cat, does that make difference, my older cats, that is yellow, has little darker gums. They do not go outside!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, coat color hasn't any real bearing on gum color (with the exception of black cats have black pigment on the gums). So, if his gums are paler then your older cats, I'd be concerned that flea bite anemia was an issue here. And often only kittens end up affected in cat groups since they have a much lower blood volume in their bodies as compared to adults. Therefore, you were right to treat for fleas but we'd want to consider having this checked by his vet once they are open (since he sounds stable without breathing issues that would warrant and ER visit). That way we can asses the anemia severity, make sure that is all that is ongoing (since they can end up infected by parasites that rupture the red blood cells secondary to flea bites), and ensure we get him onto supportive treatment to settle this and get him feeling like himself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Rate Dr.B as an 8 on scale of 1 to 10 !!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you my dear. :)

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I forgot but worms, & know the babies, cat or dog, get them easssy, !!! He needs see vet 4 shots anyway, but I just sent off 2 have both cats fixed 4 $40.00 plus $58.00 4 their shots. I don't have &&& to take care of them, but can't let go of them, so they have 2 stay right with me & they do.where ever I am, they r too!!! Except my little dog, the older cat just slaps cap out of him , whenever he sees him. & that's another story,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh yeah, u r welcome, is what I meant!!! :):):)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Absolutely! Worms are so common in our young ones and often are initially contracted from mum. So, they are always our number one suspect in cases of weight loss despite a good appetite in kittens. Therefore, we'd want to cover that base for Willie. As long as you have a weight for him you can use an OTC wormer or have his local vet dispense one (often they only need a recent weight and can check that in a free nurse visit).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm just gonna take him 2 vet, asap! He supposed to b neutered in 2/3 weeks, soon as I get coupon back 4 them, just sent off 4 it last mon., I am on limited income, & that sucks coz I'd like to save every animal that needs saved!!!!!!!!!! &Thank u so much!!! Have a wonderful day/or a good night's sleep!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action and hopefully we can get him back to feeling 100% so he is ready for that neuter. :)

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank u!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Have a great day,

Dr. B.