Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cats eyes are week it was the left eye now

Customer Question

My cats eyes are week it was the left eye now the right is sore an red and weeping
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

When both eyes are involved, an infectious conjunctivitis is most likely and the most common infectious agent is the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). We also consider bacterial infections such as Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma. In most cases, these infections will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks but it's always prudent to have Samara's vet have a look at Samara's eyes if for the only reason that eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Presumptive therapy with a broad spectrum antibiotic ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin is reasonable. Terramycin is available over the counter in many pet/agricultural merchant stores or online: and is dosed at a "dab" of ointment thrice daily for 10 consecutive days and contains the antibiotic of choice (oxytetracycline) for those bacteria.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.