Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Older cat that cannot keep any food down; anything that

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: older cat that cannot keep any food down; anything that comes up is the same color and consistency.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been unable to keep food down?

How old is he?

Is he able to drink, and keep water down?

There are many reasons, dozens of them, why cats vomit like this. It can be from an obstruction in the stomach or intestines, so that food can't pass and has to be vomited back up. It can also be from liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, cancer, even heart disease makes cats vomit.

The best place to start is with a good physical examination: palpating lymph nodes and internal organs, listening with a stethoscope, checking for dehydration. If he can't hold anything down, he may be dehydrated and that his condition worse, and he needs supplemental fluids.

Until you can have him checked out, try to keep him hydrated by offering water, broth, or tuna juice. If he won't drink, or can't hold liquids down, he really needs medical attention. You can try Pepcid AC (famotidine) 1/4th of a 10 mg pill for vomiting.

Let me know what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i believe that she can process water - had urination yesterday; she is 12+ years and a long haired cat; we believe that it is an obstruction in the stomach or intestines; she roamed the hours howling last night after vomiting; she is currently quiet and dehydration is present
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Good that she can keep down water, and is not dehydrated.

If this is an obstruction in her stomach or intestines, she needs medical attention. What makes you think it is an obstruction rather than pancreatitis, liver disease, etc.? Has she access to string or yarn or thread? Those are common causes of intestinal obstructions.

A tumor/cancer can cause obstructions in older cats.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help with, or answer? Is this helpful?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?