Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

She is sneezing very badly and I wonder if I can give her

Customer Question

Customer: She is sneezing very badly and I wonder if I can give her baby aspirin in her food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** her age is 8 years old. She is going to be 9 on July 6 of this year.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: She is in good health but she is very susceptible to the cold. I keep the house usually on the warm side. I have no idea how she could have caught this cold.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet is having several bouts of sneezing. Chronic rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal passage) can be caused by several things including dust particles, foreign body that entered the nasal passage, fungi, etc. I would caution against using aspirin in a pet or any over the counter medication for that matter unless your pet has a specific disease process that deems its use (the only reason we would use aspiring is if your pet has bloodwork before-hand to rule out any underlying liver or kidney malfunction and aspirin was indicated to help with pain and inflammation, typically for joint pain).

But as an alternative you can try Benadryl. This would be more suitable for the rhinitis and possible allergies you have described. - Dr. H