Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat, has been sneezing on and mostly off week or more. I

Customer Question

My cat tony, has been sneezing on and mostly off for 8 week or more. I live near my vet and called his assistants who said see how he eats and bring him in if he shows signs of it .Tony has been sneezing a little. I can take him to the vet but could they diagnose if he does not sneeze during the exam/ Why to cats sneeze?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common cause of sneezing in cats. Less common but still important are the bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila. An allergic rhinitis (inflammation inside the nose) should be considered as well but isn't as common as these infectious agents. In most cases, FHV-1 remisses unaided within 1-3 weeks and so 2 months would be worrisome that this virus (or another disorder altogether) is persisting without going back into its carrier state. In these cases the antiviral drug famciclovir can be prescribed.

Tony can be tested for these infectious agents by means of PCR (a DNA-based) testing. It's a pricey test but quite sensitive. The bacteria are best addressed with the antibiotic doxycycline. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.