Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

Our 16 year old cat seems to be unsure on s feet he ate

Customer Question

our 16 year old cat seems to be unsure on his feet he ate dinner tonight but had trouble jumping up on couch His foot slipped off side and balance seems disturbed. he has control of head and neck
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple things that may be causing this behavior. One is that Bandit may have suffered a mild stroke that is cauisng this balance issue and not wanting his treats. It also could be that his arthritis has gotten worse which affects the nerve supply to his front and rear legs. It is best to have your vet examine bandit to determine what will help. Often, we can prescribe an anti inflammatory medication such as Meloxicam that can help with both issues. Unfortunately, there are no over the counter medications that will help Bandit. Watch him closely and if this gets worse, be sure to have your vet examine Bandit since there may be solutions to help your sweet guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we also noticed that he stRted turning circles I assume that would be more likely to be the stroke?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we noticed he was turning circles but seems more alert now and managed to Jump up on chair

This certainly could be a minor stroke that Bandit's body may be able to get past. I am happy to hear that he could jump on the chair...always a good sign! You are doing great for your old friend, Bandit!