PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Cat Calvin straining as if blocked

Customer Question

Cat Calvin straining as if blocked
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This first happened about a week ago. At that time, the vet said Calvin appeared stable with no evidence of blockage at that time. He peed all over the table and also pooped a little during the exam. They sent him home with Amoxycillin 50 mg for 7 days and Bupenex .3 mg as needed for pain and Doxazosin 1mg as needed for urinary tract spasms. The blood test and urine test came back with approximately normal values except for only mild elevation of kidney values (BUN=43, Cre=2.5); no evidence of infection.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
At that time, I had set Calvin's rear end in a small warm bath, and he had sat there docilely and seemed to get relief; he actually slept through the night and ate breakfast. So this time, I gave him the Bupenex and Doxazosin and set him in a warm bath, but he did not get more than a moment of relief.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The vet's office opens at 7:30am, and I plan to rush Calvin over there although I don't know what they will do. Is there anything I can do for him now?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oops I mean Buprenex
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Janet, thanks for your question. The best thing to do is keep him comfortable during the time that spans before your vet can see him. Keep the ambient temperature at no more than 75 degrees in the home, dim the lights in his area to allow him rest and avoid allowing him to drink liquid if he still has the desire. The buprenex should give him some relief before your vet is able to see him and begin the process of unblocking him.