Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is it normal cat to drool after being given a dose of liquid

Customer Question

Is it normal for a cat to drool after being given a dose of liquid prozac?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to know if it is normal for a cat to drool after being given liquid prozac?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello Sandy,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sandy,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. It is actually not uncommon for cats to salivate and foam at the mouth when dosed with this med in liquid form, this probably because of a unpleasant taste and it can also occur with other drugs given in liquid form to cats. It is not all dangerous for the cat, just uncomfortable, the drug will still do it's job. You can read about owners having the same sort of problem on various web sites such as this one : LINK

2. The solution is to have your vet prescribe it in tablet form and use a " pill popper or pill pockets " to dose it with. It can also be made up in chew form.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of liquid prozac ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers