Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 16 yr old cat accidentally consumed 1 mg of lorazepam. He

Customer Question

My 16 yr old cat accidentally consumed 1 mg of lorazepam. He is diabetic and aarthrtic both controlled (pro zinc) and bupromorphine sq bid prn. (i believe he ate it although not typical for him and there is no way to be sure at home), it has bren anout two hours, no changrs in vital signs or bejaviot. He ate normally and is lying here going to sleep per normal. I dont want to traumatize thid 10 lb cat unnecessearily by rushing him to after hours clinic. Can you respond generally given his, the med? I am most concerned about over sedation and also, potential for long term organ damage. He is pretty healthy, given age and comorbitities. Thank you. Jane
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jane

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. lorazepam belongs to the same class of drug as Valium and in the human is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders and also for it's sedative properties. It is not available as a veterinary product but is used successfully in the cat " off Label " by some vets for much the same reason it would be used in a person and for sedation.

2. A typical dose rate for cats would be between 0.5 to 1 mg of lorazepam given orally once every 12 hours as needed. This is a total dose and not calculated by the cat's weight.

3. Going from the above I would very much doubt if Keeper is in any danger, you may see some degree of sedation but I would not expect worse than that, nor would I anticipate any long term problems, basically he should be just fine. Of course if any odd unexpected side effects do occur then you should have him checked over by an ER vet without delay, but I would have thought this would be unlikely.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Keeper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jane,

I am just checking back in to see how Keeper is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lorazepam incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott