Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I am very concerned about my cat because she has been sick

Customer Question

I am very concerned about my cat because she has been sick for 2 days now and keeps making a weird sound like a duck and acts like her throat hurts. She is still drinking water but will only eat her temptation treats but it seems like she is in pain. What could this possibly be? I'm so worried about my baby
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Lucy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms Lucy has had for the last couple of days is definitely a bit of a concern. As you can probably imagine, there are quite a number of potential causes for this funny noise Lucy has been making ranging from hairballs, to a foreign body in the throat (a grass blade or similar), to feline asthma (yes! cats can get asthma too), to a lower respiratory tract infection, or even a primary heart issue. If this has been relatively regularly on/off over the last couple of days, then I would definitely recommend a follow up visit with your Vet to get a better idea of what might be causing this.

As she has been sick for the last couple of days along with this strange voice change - your Vet may want to sedate Lucy to double check she doesn't have a grass blade foreign body at the back of her throat causing irritation to the nasal cavity as well as causing this cough. This is simple to treat - your Vet would just remove the grass (carefully) and put your girl on antibiotics. If he or she did check under an anesthetic and nothing was there, then the next step would be to take a chest and throat xray as well as take a fluid sample from the lungs - a procedure called a BAL. These further procedures can help give us information about whether she may have a lung infection, asthma or a heart problem to name a few.

I really do think it is best to follow this up tomorrow if your local vet is open on a Sunday. If you can get her to your Vet tomorrow, that would be the best plan. If she is eating and drinking ok - and able to keep it down, then Monday morning would be ok. In the meantime - worming her would be a good idea. Use an allwormer like drontal or milbemax for this. You could also think about using a flea product that covers heartworm if you were concerned about this.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know she has always had an issue with trying to chew on things that are like loud plastic bags so now I think I know what it may be but I was also concerned about the fact that my 4 year old grandson always tries to pick her up by the neck so I am hoping that her larynx hasn't been damaged. She is a completely indoor cat so that really is concerning that she may have been exposed to something
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Yes - the change in voice definitely indicates an issue in or around the larynx. This could either be a foreign body around the larynx or up over the soft palate (unlikely to be a grass blade or anything along those lines if she is purely an indoor girl), or potentially due to bruising and inflammation from being picked up by your 4 year old grandson. Permanent damage is unlikely, but if this is due to inflammation from being picked up like this, then a feline anti inflammatory drug would be very helpful here, and would also be a great pain relief for your girl. Your vet will be able to prescribe this for her, and definitely don't be tempted to use a human anti inflammatory or pain relief medication, as these are primarily toxic to cats.

Best of luck with your girl and do follow up on this tomorrow if your local vet is open.

Kind Regards,

Dr E