Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a cat who has been sick while. From the many times I

Customer Question

I have a cat who has been sick for a while. From the many times I have taken her to the vet everything is fine but she basicly has a bad cold. She has went from eating/drinking good to not at all... over and over ... I am kinda just looking for another opionion. Right now I have taken her for IV twice in the last week. She has not eaten/drank in 5 days. She had an IV on friday and the vet said she was no dehydrated. I have had this cat for 16 yrs and I do not want her to suffer but I just dont know if she can really get over this. I dont want to put her to sleep if there is any chance that she will recover but I am at my end as far as what to do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and here is what I would try:

1. DMG liquid by vetriscience 1/2 ml orally twice daily

2. lysine chews : give 500 mg daily everyday

3. Azithromycin liquid given orally once daily for 5 days and then every 72 hours indefinitely Zith dosed at 10mg/kg daily)

4.Low dose Prednisone at 2.5 mg twice daily

This should do it. Get your vet to get all this for you and your kitty should feel better very soon.Sincerely, DRB

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up questions! Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well currently she is not eating... becuase her nose is stopped up so she cannot smelll so she will not eat anything She has had two steriod shots in the last month.(1 every 2 weeks). it helped the first time but this time it does not seem to help as much. before that the vet has given her amoxidrops and clavamox.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Add Cyproheptadine at 1-2 mg twice daily and keep her on that. That will fix her appetite. Don't use amoxidrops or clavamox. Use the azithromycin as directed above. And add the cyproheptadine at 1-2 mg twice daily to help her appetite.

Let me know if you need anything else...SIncerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet we have been going to said it could be cancer. Is that possible? Could we give her anything else by dropper before I contact the wet again on monday.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. One other drug that can be tried is pradofloxacin, but I would do the above protocol I have listed first as this usually works with 95% of cases.

May be cancer, but usually with that there is blood in nasal discharge. If it waxes and wanes sand she is better sometimes probably not cancer.

I have used above protocol with many cats presenting to me form other practices. And if you can get her clinically well I would recommend that she take the intranasal CVR vaccine which might make her temporarily sick but can really he,p her in the long term. Hope this helps, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You can pick up just some plain pedialyte and give that by dropper to keep her from getting dehydrated. You can also get some chicken baby food that you can force feed her to get a little food into her. A few 5-10 drops of pedialyte every 10 minutes cna help rehydrate your pet.

Hope this helps, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This cat has always been an outside cat... The vet has said to not let her outside. We have been using an humitier in a room to help her but no matter what she has escaped to the outside at least a few times esp now that she has figured out the doggie door. Should we keep her locked inside or does it even matter?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

It does not matter if weather is fair.....she should not get cold.......just follow my protocol as above.....

hope that helps, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I will be back online in am in case you have other questions. Sincerely, DRB