Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

We have 5 stray cats. Have only been able to catch and spay

Customer Question

We have 5 stray cats. Have only been able to catch and spay 1. First Cat has large thick sore on nose for 2days. Another has 4 sores on his side the size of a dime. Dry up slightly but continue to look red and raw. Has continued for approx. 5 mo. Cats is only 6mo old. Very lethargic. Wondering if they have something contagious. Please help! Our vet says he has to see them , but we can't catch them. We have recently ordered a better trap than what we could get from animal control.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your predicament! My first suspicion given your description for these kitties and the fact that they are outdoor strays would be Ringworm. Ringworm is actually a fungal infection that is contagious and cats can be infected from spores in the environment, so it is common in outdoor cats. The only way to tell for sure is to use either a special light called a Woods lamp to check for fluorescence of the skin, or to do a fungal culture of hairs plucked around the area. Here is an article with information on the disease: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=559

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The trouble is going to be the fact that if the cats are too wild to catch to bring in for an exam, I am not sure how you are going to be able to treat them. Treatment usually involves either oral antifungal medication or medicated shampooing several times a week. Occasionally in animals with just one or two spots, a topical miconazole creme used twice daily may help, but often if they have more than one spot, this will not be adequate. Also know this can be contagoius to people and other pets (if it is indeed what they have, so be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands well after touching them!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that the sore on the nose could be ringworm also? It is raised and solid, not like a typical ringworm.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we can see ringworm on the nose (kitty sniffing around in dirt gets spores on nose) and it can create raised granulomatous lesions, so this is definitely possible.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay