Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat received a dose of Trifexis by accident. My cat's wt

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my cat received a dose of Trifexis by accident. My cat's wt is approx. 15lbs and the medicine is for a 20-40 lbs dog
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my cat received a dose of Trifexis by accident. My cat's wt is approx. 15lbs and the medicine is for a 20-40 lbs dog
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, how long do I need to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

There are 9.3 mg of milbemycin oxime in that Trifexis. Milbemycin oxime is dosed at at 1 mg/lb to cats and so 9.3 mg is actually an underdose and of no consequence.

There are 560 mg of spinosad in that Trifexis. Spinosad is dosed at 560 mg for a cat of your size and so your cat should remain safe.

There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. You might notice transient vomiting which is the most common adverse effect of spinosad in dogs and cats.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?