Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a one year old outdoor cat who I believe has a

Customer Question

I have a one year old outdoor cat who I believe has a ruptured rear achilles tendon. There are signs of injuries that may have been from an attack on her, with one wound where the tendon would attach to her foot. Aside from surgery what are my best options for her? If there is nothing I can do, money is tight, what is her prognosis if left untreated?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has sustained this injury - I will do my best to help.

A ruptured achilles tendon, unfortunately, will not heal properly without surgery. If she's walking with the characteristic "dropped hock" from a ruptured gastrocnemius (achilles tendon), then this will not improve. Without surgical repair she will always walk with that hock dropped to the ground, as the tendon won't tighten back up on its own. She may be comfortable after a few weeks, but she will be hindered in her mobility and will not have full strength or use of the affected leg. I also worry for infection with that wound that you're describing. With any sort of wound, it's a good idea to gently clean the area with an antiseptic like Hibiclens (chlorhexidine) or a dilute ("weak tea" colored) betadine solution followed by flushing with water. Also, if she is lame or not bearing weight on that leg or limping, it's best to keep her confined to a crate or a small room until she can be evaluated. I know that finances can definitely limit your ability to pursue surgery, but if it's at all possible, I'd suggest that you have her examined to be sure that the injury isn't something that could be treated medically. It could be something that actually doesn't need surgery - but might respond to rest, anti-inflammatory medications, and time.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)