Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

If a cat looks like it has a broken back leg (at the joint

Customer Question

If a cat looks like it has a broken back leg (at the joint and somewhat recently) and walks and runs around on its other three legs, is it at all possible that it will be okay if I can't capture it to take it to a vet? The fur has been licked off.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30++ years. It sounds like the cat has pain in the leg, by the fact it has licked the hair off. The Vet can definitely treat the leg. The big issue would be determining the problem and the type of treatment needed. The treatment can range from setting the leg, to surgical repair of the injury to amputation of the leg if it cannot be repaired. As you can see the cat functions well on 3 legs, so whatever is done will help with the pain. The biggest drawback is if the cat is a feral cat, it will have to be kept in what the leg is being treated.

I hope this response is helpful.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tom. How is everything going?
Jav917