Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat has had this lump on her chest few years now, it

Customer Question

My cat has had this lump on her chest for a few years now, it started out very small and Grew to now maybe an inch and a half in diameter, when I first noticed the lump was growing I took her to my vet and they said it was just a fatty lump, well about a month ago it started bleeding, it would bleed a little, scab up, bleed more, scab again, and then it would heal and be fine. Now it is filled again and has started to bleed. Her mood doesn't change when this happens, there is no lethargy or loss of appetite, she is about 16 years old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! Does this mass feel soft or fluid filled? Or is it firmer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it feels soft and like it's just excess skin, and then right before it starts to bleed it feels fluid filled (still soft and squishy) but it's never been firm.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it could be a cystic mass. These can be fluid filled and sometimes break open or bleed. Many are benign in the sense that they don't necessarily spread elsewhere on the body, but sometimes can cause problems if they get large or get infected. The only way to say for certain if one may be a more concerning cancer, though, would be to do an aspirate of the mass to look at under the microscope. This can usually be done without any sedation needed, using a needle the same size as you would use for vaccines. I would recommend having your kitty examined by a vet to see if they feel it is a mass that needs to be investigated further. Hopefully it is just a benign cyst that won't cause any problems, but it is better to be safe and get it looked at. In the meantime, I would apply neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment to the area if there is bleeding present. Sometimes applying a warm compress if there is any other discharge present will aid in drainage as well.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay