Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can my cat's diabetes cause nailbed infection?

Customer Question

can my cat's diabetes cause nailbed infection?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Diabetes can cause an individual to be more susceptible to infections, so can be an underlying cause of the nailbed infection. If there was some type of trauma to the nail or that toe, it would be easier for him to get an infection there. That goes for anywhere on his body. I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if it does not.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there anything I can do for him til I can get him into his vet?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

You can try soaking it in warm water with an antibacterial shampoo for 5-10 minutes twice daily. If he will leave it alone, you can even try putting Neosporin on it. Ultimately, though, he needs to be on a antibiotic. Hope this helps