Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My cat went to the er last Saturday and they found s fever

Customer Question

My cat went to the er last Saturday and they found his fever to be 105,so they gave him fluids and tried to get his fever down,I finally took him to my own vet on Monday and he still had a high fever and hadn't pooped in days.Anyway,my vet finally got his fever down and he ate alittle.But since he's been sick and now all his vitals seem are normal,he can't really walk much,he walks alittle then lays down until he gets enough energy to walk alittle again.My Jeffrey never had this problem before actually he's a jumper.My vet said he may have a neurological bacteria could this be true and gave me this antibiotic to give to him Clindamycin Aquadrops 20ml.Please help me,I am so so upset and worried for my Jeffrey.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about Jeffrey's troubles. It sound like Jeffrey could be experiencing meningitis. Meningitis can be caused by bacteria, a virus, fungus, or an unknown. Menigitis causes inflammation in the nerves and brain that can lead to the weakness and difficulty walking. The fact that his temperature is normal is a sign that you're on the right track with the antibiotics.

Did your vet give Jeffrey any antiinflammatories? Either a pill or a shot? If not, this would be something to consider. Most cats respond well to a steroid injection. This helps with the inflammation, discomfort and tends to boost their appetite. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!