Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

8 year old domestic short hair, indoor always, dense shiny

Customer Question

8 year old domestic short hair, indoor always, dense shiny coat, no claws. Lately have noticed him scratching his neck but of course he cannot very well so when he came to sit by me, I scratched around his neck base and upward a little. There are sometimes bumps that readily come off. Yesterday I put a couple of them on a white tissue and looked with a magnifying glass. They are not alive, no movement so don't suspect bugs. Is this some kind of skin irritation and is there anything I can do for it or is a vet visit in order?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! What you are describing sounds like it could be what we call miliary dermatitis, which can cause itchy bumps/crusts/papules on the skin. This is usually a reaction to something- an insect bite (fleas), a food allergy, a bacterial infection, an environmental allergen, etc. Here is a link to an article with a little info on the condition: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2969

I would recommend a visit to your vet to determine if a bacterial infection is present and treatment for this is needed, and to check for any parasites (some can be microscopic so you can't see with the naked eye) and to investigate what the root cause of this reaction could be!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay