Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have introduced a 7 year old fixed female into a

Customer Question

We have introduced a 7 year old fixed female into a household in which a 17 year old fixed female has been living for several years. The new cat had lived for about 5 years with a young man who loved her but had to give her up because he was getting married and his fiance had anaphylactic reactions to cats. The 7 year old cat, Bandaid, growled, hissed, and attacked the 3 people in the new household { my daughter, her boyfriend, and myself} initially, but she has become somewhat used to Vinnie, allowing him to pet her for short periods at times. She continues to be aggressive with my daughter most of the time and with me consistently, probably because I am there only on weekends. We separate her from the older cat, Prissy, because she immediately attacks her and had caused her to have an abscess. We allow them to see each other and be in the same room while we are present only. We try to reward good behavior with treats. We have all lived with cats all our lives, and in our experience this behavior is beyond the bounds of normal. S
T
She has been in her new environment for one month. There is some improvement, as I stated, but it is minimal and is consistently positive toward the male [Vinnie}, only. She had been to the vetfor regular "well cat" visits, immunizations, etc. She can be quite vicious and attempts to bite and scratch. We do not force our attentions upon her and try to let her come to us, to no avail. We have been using a pherenom diffuser for 2 weeks without a change. Are medications an option, at least temporarily? Thanks for your advice- Joanne
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.

Hi Joanne,

I am so sorry you are having trouble with a cat you were so kind to take in.

Please give me some more information so I can help.

Has Bandaid ever lived with another cat?

If so when and with whom?

Did she ever attack anyone in her previous home?
Is she nervous or high strung?

Indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed,answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri