Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat left me with a bite on my hand. It bleed briefly but

Customer Question

My cat left me with a bite on my hand. It bleed briefly but I wash it with soap and water
and put antibiotic cream on it. Its doing Ok but read earlier needed to see a doctor but have no symptoms. Does cat bits cause that many infections and with no symptoms need to see the doctor?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your bite! It is usually recommended to seek a physician's care for a cat bite because most often these bites are puncture wounds due to a cat's teeth shape and the bacteria can get deeper under the skin where it is difficult to wash out thoroughly. Was this just a scrape/scratch on the surface or was it a puncture wound?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It punctured where it bleed but not a very big wound.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its been almost 48 hours
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

If the puncture was anything other than very superficial, the safest thing to do would be to have your doctor take a look at it and prescribe an antibiotic. Without seeing a wound in person, it is hard for me to assess depth, but cat bites can cause serious issues, so it is better to be safe than sorry. Here is an article on animal bites FYI : http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-animal-bites/basics/art-20056591

Since it has been 48 hours, the risk of infection if there is no pain or swelling is probably lower, but may still be worth getting checked out. I would recommend calling your physician when they open in the morning for their recommendation!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay