Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 3 year old cat. He has been vomiting days and has

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old cat. He has been vomiting for 3 days and has not eaten or drank water for two. I don't know if my father changing his food from dry to wet food has caused it, but he is bringing up the wet food. What should I do? I am unemployed and a full time student... Help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Is he strictly indoors?

4- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lethargic-yes diarrhea-no indoor cat-yes. He last vomitted almost 4 hours ago

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

Friend, I really do understand your financial constraint being a student. But, if Cinnamon has been vomiting for 3 days and not eating or drinking I am really concern about his hydration, this could potentially be fatal without supportive care of IV fluids, anti emetics, etc. I am going to make some recommendations below. But, I recommend you try to get him into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Besides supportive care he will need some testing to determine the exact underlying cause for the vomiting. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest so that when you offer water and food he does not vomit.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Continue to give water with a dropper as long as he is not vomiting.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter