Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Uneven pupils, not eating much, and he is 10 years old.

Customer Question

Customer: uneven pupils, not eating much, and he is 10 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: not at the moment, I will be taken him to the vet soon, just was checking to make sure it not an emergency.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Lucky hasn't been feeling well - I will do my best to help.

In general, red flags that indicate a pet needs emergency care would be the following:

• pale, blue/purple, or yellow discoloration to the gums
  • abdominal distention
  • any difficulty breathing or a resting respiratory rate of more than 45 breaths per minute
  • A rectal temperature over 103.5
  • severe lethargy (can't be woken up)
  • unable to stand/walk
  • any obvious severe pain or discomfort
  • bleeding that doesn't stop with application of pressure
  • Not eating for more than 24 hours
  • Vomiting that doesn't stop within in an hour or two
  • seizures or loss of consciousness

Pupils of different sizes (we call it anisocoria) doesn't always indicate something urgent, but it could - depending on what other signs you're seeing. Not eating well is a pretty vague sign that isn't really indicative of any one disease in particular - so there are a lot of things that could be going on. I think that your plan to have him to the vet soon is a very good one.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)