Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

One of my cats has scabs all over p area on both sides of

Customer Question

one of my cats has scabs all over hip area on both sides of back also back no fur loss and doesn't look red what could that be we feed him the high quality cat food wet and dry and tuna fish packed in oil
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Mary, you've described a papulocrustous eruption of the skin called miliary dermatitis. Here's my synopsis of that skin disorder for you:

Miliary dermatitis is seen mainly secondary to allergic skin disease. In rarer cases we'll find the demodectic mange mite which can be found upon examining skin scrapings microscopically.

Whenever the area between the edge of our cat's rib cage to the tail is involved, a flea saliva allergy is most commonly found. Even if you can't find any fleas, it's best that you apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage/Advocate or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer flea spot-ons available from his vet. In severe cases we can either inject or orally administer a prescription antihistaminic corticosteroid such as prednisolone which often works wonders in these cats. Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) aren't reliably effective against allergic skin disease but you might see how a dose of 2mg of an over the counter chlorpheniramine once or twice daily affects him. Please note that cats can be such effective groomers as to remove all evidence of fleas. It's important to still apply the flea spot-ons. If Revolution isn't doing the trick, try another product and make sure to treat your premises with an area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as methoprene. IGRs don't allow flea eggs or larvae to develop into adult fleas and so break up the life cycle of the flea.

Less commonly but still important, his skin can result from a food intolerance or atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust and dust mites, e.g.) Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that his immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen.

Atopy is usually initially addressed by the same prednisolone I mentioned above and used to address a flea saliva allergy. Prednisolone can be used as a test when differentiating a flea saliva allergy or atopy from a food intolerance. Both a flea saliva allergy and atopy are usually quite responsive to prednisolone. Not so a food intolerance. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there anything I can put on scabs to heal moisturizer
I do revolution for 18 lb cats
I can't afford allergy testing have had over $1000 in vet bills for the 3 strays I live on ss I want to give them quality life I get meow mix dry and friskies wet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will this go away by itself

I understand your financial constraints. It's best not to apply any significant amount of creams or lotions if only because our cats will ingest too much of it when grooming. I would switch from the expensive Revolution to a less costly over the counter topical (Advantage, e.g.) or oral flea product (Capstar, e.g.) or even the new over the counter Seresto flea collar* which lasts for many, many months. Most important, consider a premise spray such as Siphotrol available over the counter. You don't need to allergy test. Yes, the skin condition can wax and wane depending upon the presence of the offending allergen.

* http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Seresto-Flea-Tick-Collar/dp/B00B8CG5NK

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Mary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?