Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He is sneezing and gagging. I have been to the Vet twice and

Customer Question

Customer: He is sneezing and gagging for breath. I have been to the Vet twice and he has had many tests but I can't understand this and he is not exposed to other cats nor is he outside. He is getting lethargic again. He is (Burmese() short hair but is shedding terribly. I brush him several times a day and wash all his bedding and towels.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sable - 2 years old.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sable
JA: Huh?
Customer: The at's name is "Sable".
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about And?
Customer: I a thinking - he is not acting like himself for several weeks - he also has bouts of laryngitis.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sable. I would be primarily concerned with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) because of the chronicity and fact that laryngitis has been a problem. PCR testing (a DNA-based test) is necessary to identify the presence of FHV-1 (as well as the other major considerations such as Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma). It's a pricey test but quite sensitive and specific. FHV-1 won't respond to antibiotics but, instead, an antiviral drug such as famciclovir.

Sable's excessive shedding is consistent with any underlying illness and so doesn't clarify a particular infectious respiratory agent. Most cats are infected with FHV-1 within days of being born. Most will remain carriers for life and may or may not become clinically ill during their lifetime. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.