Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

I just adopted a 14-year-old cat two weeks ago. She was sent

Customer Question

I just adopted a 14-year-old cat two weeks ago. She was sent home with me with Purina One Hairball Formula, but I in the first week (perhaps mistakenly) also offered her a little packet of wet Fancy Feast. She now strongly prefers that and will eat the hairball kibble only when nothing happens in response to her pleas.
Must she remain on hairball kibble? If she can also have wet food, how often could I give her this? She's pretty adamant about preferring that, and I want her to remain in the peak of health for her age. But I'm being cat-nagged daily.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I hope that you are enjoying your new adoptee! If she is prone to hairballs, you can give her a dose of Cat Lax or other hairball supplement a couple times a week instead of the food. There are multiple products out there and most of them are flavored pastes that the cats will eat like a treat, otherwise they can be wiped on the inside of their lips. These just help keep hairballs greased up so that they move through the system.

Wet cat food is fine, especially for an older kitty. Most wet foods are formulated to be a balanced diet, so it can be the only food they eat. The downside to it is it doesn't help clean the teeth the way a kibble does. You can help this by giving her other treats such as Feline Greenies, Science Diet T/D, or any other hard treats for teeth. You can always leave the kibble out for her to pick at, but then feed her wet food for meals. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tasha. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk