Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

We have an older male cat who recently has smelly

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** we have an older male cat who recently has smelly urine...and he is "dribbling" a little???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: guess I'm wondering why he's smelly....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. Hi Peg I hear you have an older cat who is having urinary issues. Sorry to hear that, I will do my best to help you figure things out and what our next best steps should be for his care.

Smelly urine and dribbling can be a sign of a urinary tract infection (UTI). These can be as simple as just a stress induced simple UTI or they can be as complicated as a urinary bladder stone or crystals that can incited a UTI to follow. Therefore it is advised to get some testing done on the urine, urinalysis, to detect for white blood cells, red blood cells and even crystals that may be present so that the best treatment plan is advised.

There is always a possibility that a pet can have urinary stones in the bladder so most vets will offer a radiograph of the bladder if this is highly suspected or if your pet has repeat UTI's. There are also diet changes and environmental enrichment changes you can make to reduce the chances that your pet develops stones or has repeat urinary issues that we can discuss. But before I get to those I have a few more questions for you.

So you cat, is he currently on any medications?

How many other cats are in the home with him?

How many total litter boxes do you have?

- Dr. H