Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He has a lump behind s right ear. He keeps shaking s head

Customer Question

Customer: He has a lump behind his right ear. He keeps shaking his head and he won't eat his food. Elmo is 12 years old and overweight. He is a long hair black and white tabby.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elmo?
Customer: I can't remember when he had his shots. See my mother had him first and she passed away in 2011. So i resumed responsibility for him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I need to see if it might be incriminatory for his shaking his head and anorexia. How long has he been anorexic, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The lump is under his skin. Not visible with a picture. I feel it when I rub his head.

Ah! Thank you. I should be able to rule out a lymph node or salivary gland, then, if it's behind his ear. How long has he been shaking his head and been anorexic?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He's been shaking his head for about 2 days now and he usually likes to eat his food but I noticed that he has not been eating it. He just lays around and sleep more than he usually does. I looked in his ear last night and didn't see anything coming out. I used a pin light.

I'm willing to "watchful wait" much younger cats than Elmo for up to 72 hours but at his age anorexia can indicate not only simple dietary indiscretions seen more commonly in young cats but also age-related degenerative disorders such as hepatic or renal insufficiency. His head shaking should prompt a careful exam of not only his ears but also all of his head looking for a source of pain. That lump might be the source but I'm necessarily constrained by distance to confirm that. I'd be more comfortable knowing that Elmo's vet take a look at him at your earliest convenience.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?