Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat 'Candy' is going on 14,very skinny but is acting

Customer Question

My cat 'Candy' is going on 14,very skinny but is acting totally normal.She is somewhat constipated,hard small stools. I have been adding one Tbls of olive oil with canned food.Any advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with Miss Candy. Based on what you are relaying to me there are a few things I would be concerned about..... kidney disease is very common in older cats and can cause constipation especially since they are unable to concentrate their urine. The thing that will help most with this is going to be a canned kidney diet such as hills KD or Purina NF canned renal/kidney diets. Some cats don't even mind some warm water being added to these foods. The other thing that would help her is to give her a little laxatone orally every day. Give her about 1/4 inch of laxatone daily and this will also help with moving her bowels.

The best possible thing you van do for her though is to have her to your vet and have them do a full blood panel to include a CBC, chem panel, electrolytes, FELV,FIV, and urinalysis with T4. She could also be hyperthyroid and and this would complicate her progress even more. Older cats can act fine and still have several diseases which if addressed properly they can live with for several years.

I hope this helps you but please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns as I check my computer every night.

Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and if you have any further questions please feel free to leave them here as I will check back with you tonight. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

Hi I am just checking back in with you to see if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB