Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My 16 year old cat just saw the vet yesterday and s

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat just saw the vet yesterday and his bloodworm showed a thyroid problem. He also has feline herpes and is having a flare up. He started antibiotics and got subcutaneous fluids and seemed to perk up but today is weak and holding his head at an odd angle. Is this a symptom of a herpes flare up?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Steve's troubles. Could you please tell me, was his thyroid low or high on his bloodwork yesterday?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His vet didn't mention it but prescribedfelimazole 5mg a day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, Dr. Bonk , he just walked from the living room into the bedroom and is struggling to use his back legs. I am worried he has had a stroke. Can you advise? I am reluctant to take him to the Animal Medical Hospital because he has such high anxiety when he goes and I am afraid to put him under more stress.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

His symptoms sound like a reaction to the felimazole. Adverse affects can be lethargy, anorexia, and vomiting. You can also see muscle weakness and a head tilt if his thyroid is too low. My advise would be to stop the medication and call your vet when you can. They may want to adjust the dosage or switch to a different treatment.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Also, he is under a lot of stress right now with the herpes flare up as well, so anything you can do to reduce stress will help him feel better, for example, let him stay in a dark quiet room with food and water.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I just wanted to check on how Steve is today.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I was just seeing if you found anything out on Steve. Also, I was wondering if you could please rate me so I can improve my customer service. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for following up, Steve died later that evening.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I wish I could have been more help.