Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My cat has elevated liver enzymes. She will not eat any

Customer Question

My cat has elevated liver enzymes. She will not eat any food. She`s been given appitite pills, twice a day for 5days with no result
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear that your cat is sick. I am here to help as best I can with advice on how to proceed.

My name is***** but you can call me Dr. H. Is she being hospitalized right now, on fluid therapy with supportive care? Or is she at home with you?

Also do you have a copy of her bloodwork results to scan or take a pic and show me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Email from local vet says kidneys look fine, glucose is fine. No sign of UTI and thyroid is fine. Liver enzymes are elevated.

Ok are they all elevated. The ALT, ALKP, AST, and GGT?

Did she go home with liver protectant medication such as Denamarin or SAM-e?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no she didn`t
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She won`t eat any dry or wet food. She will die soon I`m afraid

Hmm. Ok did they give you a diagnosis for her?

I am just wondering because I can't see the exact values myself?

When ALT is elevated very high then this could mean a serious liver insult and could require hospitalization for.

Also when the ALKP (ALP) and ALT are seriously elevated but only mild elevation in the GGT I worry that she may have a condition called hepatic lipidosis (Fatty liver), this is a serious condition if not treated promptly with fluids and supportive care at the hospital.

I can understand your concerns and I am doing everything I can to help you make the best decision for her care.

This sounds like she needs to go to the ER vet at this time. I am afraid her liver may be in trouble.

- Dr. H

This sounds like the issue is too big or great for you to even attempt to take care of in the home setting. She is an older pet and needs special care if her liver is not functioning normally.

Do you have an ER vet to go to?

I can help you look up hospitals in your area if you need assistance. Just let me know!

- Dr. H

Have I answered all your questions to your satisfaction today concerning Roxy?

Is there anything else you need from me?

- Dr. H

Are you still there?

Would you prefer a phone consultation or are you clear on everything up to this point?

Ok I have not heard from you in a little while. I will activate the "Rate my Expert" button so that you can proceed with a rating for me and the service I have provided for you and your pet Roxy this evening. Please don't forget to rate me as this is how I am credited for taking the time to chat with you today concerning your pet concerns. Thanks and have a wonderful day I do hope that Roxy gets better soon!

- Dr. H