Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat keeps getting fleas despite being treated with

Customer Question

my cat keeps getting fleas despite being treated with advantage. what is the best flea medication for cats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having trouble with fleas.

First realize that only 5% of the flea population lives on your cat, the rest is in the environment. To most efficiently get rid of fleas you need to effectively treat your home and your animals. Most people that still see fleas when they use an effective topical are seeing them because the home environment has many developing fleas.

You need to vacuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.

You also need to use effective products on your cat.

Flea baths while effective to kill the fleas on them, have no residual effect and they are very drying to the skin and coat. So new fleas from the environment will jump on your kitty once Milo gets out of the tub.

You can use effective topicals like Advantage II or Frontline Plus every 3 weeks in severe infestations if Milo is healthy otherwise. The good news about these products is that they kill adults and interfere with flea and larvae maturing exposed to them. I have heard from some that the flea population in the southeast (including Florida) is becoming somewhat resistant to Frontline so if you live in that area I would probably choose another product. The Seresto flea collar is another excellent option and has the benefit of 6-8 months of continuous protection against fleas and ticks. It is the only effective flea collar for cats. Do not bother with over the counter products, they are neither effective nor safe in many instances. If you have other pets all animals must be treated or they will serve as flea reservoirs.

I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M

The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.

Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors since Kiki goes outside. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.

The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

Best of luck, please let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****