Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat is throwing up foam and is just laying around which

Customer Question

My cat is throwing up white foam and is just laying around which is extremely unlike him. He also wont eat or drink and i havent noticed him use the bathroom in a few hours
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! You say he may not have been urinating today? If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he has discomfort
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Ok. My concern is that your kitty could have what is called a urethral obstruction. This is something that can happen in younger male cats, when their urethra (the tube that connects the bladder to the outside) can become blocked by crystals, cells, or just inflammation (it is a very narrow tube). This can make them feel very unwell, and they will often become lethargic and can also sometimes vomit. If he hasn't been peeing today and his belly in tender, then I would recommend getting him in to your vet ASAP to get him checked out. This is a medical emergency and if he is truly blocked (the vet should be able to tell pretty quickly by feeling his bladder) it can be life threatening if it is untreated. Here is an article with information on this: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

The treatment for this involves sedating the kitty and passing a catheter to relieve the blockage, and often requires a couple days in the hospital to ensure he will remain unblocked.

So I would call your vet and tell them you are worried your kitty is "blocked " (that is what we call it in the vet world). If they are not open, you need to find an emergency clinic.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck with him!